Franz Otto Kaufman
Franz Otto Kaufmann was born September 17, 1854 in Linda, Saxony, Germany (Linda, Freiberg, Dresden, Sachsen, Germany) and died December 4, 1938 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. He is buried at Primrose Methodist Cemtery off Dixon Road in Little Rock. He was 5’9″ with light brown hair, a fair completion and grey eyes.
He immigrated to the United States and arrived aboard the SS Main on Januay 8, 1881 at the Port of New York. The ship had departed from Bremen. He enlisted with the US Army on January 11, 1881 at Fort Hamilton in New York. He was promoted to Corporal 26 December 1882 and then to Sergeant on 23 September 1883.
Magdalena “Lena” Harviel
Magdalena Harviel was born 24 October 1865 in Strasbourg, Germany (Alsace-Lorraine, France) and immigrated to the United States when she was 11, about 1877. She died 13 April 1952 in Little Rock, Arkansas. She is buried next to her husband at Primrose Methodist Cemetery off Dixon Road in Little Rock. She was under 5 foot tall, with light brown hair, a light completion and brown eyes.
She spoke in broken English with a thick German accent. She loved to tell stories about her childhood and the “old country”. Her father had been a farmer in Germany and grew hops to make malt liquor. She would tell how bitter her fingers tasted for a long time after picking hops. The younger children in the family also had chores and would gather wood and tie twigs together in a bundle to be used later as kindling.
Otto Kaufmann (Americanized to Kaufman) served in New York until they transferred him to Little Rock with the Army Artillery that was headquartered out of St. Augustine, Florida on 9 December 1881. As he was stepping off the train at the Little Rock Depot, Lena spotted him and immediately told her parents she was going to marry that man.
According to Pulaski County marriage records they married 21 February 1885 in Little Rock. The couple lived at the Little Rock Arsenal (now MacArthur Museum) until Sgt. Otto Kaufman was discharge. There a bit of a discrepancy with the marriage date as their firstborn, Franz Otto Kaufman, Jr, states he was born on 10 January 1885 and his parents had already been married almost a year.
The Kaufman’s moved in 1885 or 1886 to the Sand Hill area of Little Rock. There they had 14 children, 9 of which survived to adulthood. Lena would load up their wagon two or three times a week with produce they grew on the farm and would head into Little Rock were she sold the produce to individuals in the Quapaw area and some grocery stores on Markham St. Many days she would leave before daylight and return well after dark.
“Papa”, as he was called by the children, would sit on the shady porch barking orders to the kids working in the field. If they stopped to take a short break he would blow a whistle at them to let them know he knew they were not working. At the end of the day, he would tell each one how many times they “rested”. If they complained that their back hurt he would them they were kids and didn’t have a back.
No matter how hard life got Lena never complained and adored the ground that “Papa” walked on, he could do no wrong in her eyes. After his death in 1938, she sold their property to Mrs. Eva Rose for $250 and spent $27.00 for his funeral bill.
- Franz Otto Kaufman, Jr – born 10 January 1885 at the Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 30 July 1947 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Married Nettie Mae Galmish.
- Lena Kaufman – born 30 October 1886 in Little Rock, Arkansas. Died before 1900 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas.
- Emmett Kaufman – born 31 October 1888 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died before 1900 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas.
- Edward Robert Kaufman – born 6 September 1890 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Arkansas. Died 31 August 1981 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Married (1) Leona Lucile Jacoby and (2) Rosa Adeline Henslee.
- Karl Paul (?) Kaufman – born 28 January 1892 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 11 January 1971 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Married Clara E. Rauch.
- Selma Kaufman – born 25 September 1893 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas.
- Paul Kaufman – born 15 August 1895 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died before 1900 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas.
- Mary Kaufman, – born 11 August 1897 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 25 January 1977 in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa. Married George Henry Bickford.
- Francis Kaufman – born 16 November 1899 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 25 May 1993.
- George Paul Kaufman – born 29 January 1901 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 15 February 1964 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Married Roselea Bright.
- Rosa Kaufman – born 30 December 1903 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 15 June 1927 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas.
- Clara K. Kaufman – born 16 October 1905 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 6 August 1987 in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Married Lewis Marsh Baker
Louisa Magdalena Kaufman – born 5 January 1907 at Sand Hill, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Died 27 Apr 1989, North Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas. Married Clarence H. Wood.
- unknown Kaufman – miscarriage/stillborn